Vacuums are arguably one of the most useful home appliances of the modern era and have made carpet maintenance easy and feasible for the middle class. Upright vacuums are a classic choice for families that need a do-it-all cleaning tool. From cars to stairs to hardwood floors, upright cleaners are incredibly versatile. Over the last century, these have changed dramatically, many no longer need dirt bags for your vacuum cleaner while some have gone cordless.
Choosing a right upright vacuum can be daunting since the prices between various models vary greatly. That’s why we have prepared this guide to cover the best upright vacuum cleaners to find which one’s the appropriate for you to purchase.
Read our complete review or skip to the guide
Top Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Reason for Top pick
The Shark Navigator (NV356E) Professional takes our top spot for upright vacuums all thanks to its smart design, quality performance, and reasonable price. Besides being an upright vacuum, this unit can detach the canister to vacuum he hard-to-reach areas. This vac is also equipped with an Anti-Allergen Seal technology and HEPA filter, meaning that it traps close to 99.9% of allergens and dust as well. Weighing 13.7 pounds, this vac is easy to tote up the stairs and around your house during your scheduled cleaning sprees. .
|Shark Navigator(NV356E)||CHECK PRICE|
|Hoover UH72400||CHECK PRICE|
|Bissell Cleanview 1831||CHECK PRICE|
|Tineco A10||CHECK PRICE|
|Bissell 9595A||CHECK PRICE|
Top 5 Upright Vacuum Cleaner Reviews
#1. Shark Navigator (NV356E) Professional – Our Top Pick:
- The canister is easy to detach and clean
- Swivel base makes it easy to maneuver
- Bag-free design
- Suction control
- Pet upholstery attachments
- Easy cord release
- Incredibly powerful
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- Quality construction materials
- Small vacuum brush width
- Has no soft brush attachment
- The dustbin door release means you might come in contact with dirt
- It’s top heavy and topples over easily
This unit from Shark is not just one of our top sellers, but it is also beloved by many homeowners because of its excellent suction and big dust cup that is easy to empty. What really sets this unit apart from its competitors is its ability to isolate the canister from the wheel compartment so that you can carry the machine around your house. This model comes with a 30-foot electrical cord which helps you cover significant ground.
The Shark Navigator NV365E is equipped with a HEPA filter and confines 99.99% of dust and allergens inside the vac. This vacuum revolves making steering incredibly simple and accessing hard-to-reach sections easier. This hoover also boasts a Dust-Away hard floor attachment in addition to two washable microfiber pads that make picking large debris and small particles easy.
While we had several positive things to note about this unit, we were not impressed by the unit’s poor edge cleaning and how easily it tips over.
#2. Hoover UH72400 – Best Vacuum Cleaner for Carpet
- 14-foot extendable hose
- Smooth transition from carpet to hard floor cleaning
- Has good balance
- Filter is easy to clean
- Slim design lets you get under low furniture
- Brush turns really well
- The small design takes less storage space
- The unit’s plastic parts can easily break
- The hose easily gets filled with debris
- Sometimes the suction could be to strong that it sucks floor mats or carpets
- Motor brushes are not replaceable
- The cord isn’t retractable
Following closely for the top spot is this Hoover vacuum cleaner, a bagless and lightweight unit weighing less than 14 pounds. This is designed with steerable technology that makes navigation around obstacles, furniture, and corners smooth with the simple twist of the handle. Besides the standard 30-foot cord, it simultaneously uses three channels of suction to deliver great cleaning results.
Switching from carpet cleaning to hard floor cleaning has never been easier all thanks to a button that’s perfectly placed right above the waste canister. Using Hoover’s Allergen Block tech, this unit guarantees that 97% of pollen, dust, dirt, and dander won’t leave your vacuum. The cleaner’s telescopic brush tool hose is extendable to 14 feet letting you reach places other hoovers might have trouble getting to.
We were particularly impressed by the 2-in-1 crevice tool. The crevice mode cleans crevices and cracks with great precision while its dusting mode cleans furniture surfaces, vents, and other décor.
#3. Bissell Cleanview 1831 Vacuum Cleaner – Best for Pet Hair
- Five height adjustments
- Super simple to assemble
- Cleans wonderfully in a single pass
- Equipped with a turbo brush for use in smaller areas
- Sleek gliding movement
- Picks up dirt with ease
- Price is great for such a device
- You can remove the core to clean off the dirt
- There’s no automatic cord roll up
- Rotating brush continually spins even when you’re using the hose sucker
- The hose clogs easily
- A little hard to use on stairs
- The canister clogs easily with dog hair and other pet hair as well
If you’re looking for the a cleaner that offers a wide cleaning diameter, then the Bissell Cleanview is what you need. It is considered to be one of the best bagless vacuum cleaner of all time, With its 13.5-inch cleaning head, this cleaner covers significant ground while being able to easily maneuver into hard to reach parts of your home. The Cleanview 1831 is also equipped with Bissell’s own OnePass technology which uses powerful brushes and suction that ensure your surface is cleaned in one pass.
This vacuuming unit also incorporates a powerful, multi cyclonic suction system that prevents dust particles from getting back into the air while extending the life of your unit and its filter. The multi-level filtration system helps trap every piece of fine debris. The 2-liter dirt bin is large enough for your daily cleaning chores and features an easy-to-empty mechanism for mess-free emptying.
We were also impressed by the five height adjustments for proper multi-surface cleaning and close to 32 feet of cleaning reach for all above-floor cleaning.
#4. Tineco A10– Best Cordless Stick Vacuum
- Comes with a detachable battery pack
- LED lights to illuminate your floor
- Space saver
- Fabulous for constant pet clean-ups
- Docking station is great
- Incredibly quiet
- Comes packaged well
- The debris container is tiny
- Battery replacement is expensive
- Unit overheats quickly when on Max mode
- Battery power might not be enough for larger spaces
Are you tired of tedious housekeeping with your bulky, corded cleaners? It’s time to say goodbye to the hassle and say hello to the Tineco A10. With this hoover, you will enjoy 110 Watts of ultra-quiet, powerful suction for 7 minutes (in Max operation mode). The suction in this unit is 4 times than the traditional DC motor cordless vacuums, hence making it one of the best cordless vacuums out of the five. It also features a multi-stage, fully-sealed filtration mechanism which locks in small debris without any leakage and releases non-allergenic air into your home.
This 2.87 pound cleaner is the epitome of versatility and easily converts into a handheld vacuum cleaner to meet all your floor-to-ceiling cleaning needs. Better yet, you don’t have to continuously hold down the power button since it comes with a switch lock for convenience. We cannot also forget the multi-tasker brush for carpets and hard floors and which features 2 power modes. The LED lights on the brush head help you clean even in shadow.
#5. Bissell 9595A – Best Budget Vacuum Cleaner
- Comes with excellent attachments
- Great cleaning efficiency
- Clear canister so that you know when to empty
- Has an easy, painless, and free return process (should you need to)
- It is a one pass hoover as advertised
- Easy to assemble
- The power cord is relatively short
- Too powerful for use on fabric rugs
- The handle is less ergonomic to hold
- Low mobility
- Quite heavy and clunky
Don’t want to spend a fortune on a cleaner right now? That’s fine because we have something for you. This corded Bissell 9595A is the best affordable vacuum in its category, all thanks to its powerful suction and revolutionized brush design that picks more dust in one pass. It is also equipped with a TurboBrush tool which works well for furniture, upholstered items, and stairs.
The large capacity dirt tank lets you vacuum without frequent emptying – which is usually easy to get rid of dirt. It comes with an extension wand that helps you capture debris and dirt high and low. You could use this accessory on its own or attached tools like dusting brushes or crevice tools. We were impressed by this unit’s performance considering its price.
Things To Look For in An Upright Vacuum Cleaner
For many homeowners, the trick is usually to compare between lower-priced options and more expensive vacuums. From a price point of view, the more you pay, the better cleaning and suction quality. However, when it comes to choosing an upright hoover, it has to do with more than just the price. Here are a few things you should look for when buying an upright cleaner.
1. Bagged Vs. Bagless Vacuum
Once you have set your sights on an upright vacuum, there are still several decisions to make. For starters, you must decide between a bagged and bagless unit. Bagged vacs are typically better at containing dust and are relatively easier to use – you just dispose of the bag. On the other hand, units with dust cups reduce the ongoing costs of purchasing bags and could be fun to use since you’ll see what’s coming off your floor or carpet.
You should take time to think through buying a bagless vac since you must periodically wipe it out. Besides, you could create a large dust cloud when it’s time to empty your dust cup. So if you suffer from allergies, a bagged unit makes a good option.
After choosing between a bagged and bagless unit, consider these other factors.
Strong suction and cleaning power are equally important factors when choosing an upright vacuum cleaner. A strong suctions saves you time since it gets your surface clean in fewer passes. The challenge is that it is difficult to know, before you purchase it, how quick your unit picks up dust. The numbers on the box could help but we recommend checking reviews from others who have tried the model.
3. Convenience and Design
It is great to own a lightweight upright vac that’s powerful at the same time since you can tote it around your house or upstairs with ease. Besides, maneuverability adds to cleaning convenience since it can save you time moving around furniture in the house.
It would be a good idea to buy a vacuum with a long enough cord so that your cleaning isn’t interrupted by constant plugging and unplugging. And although most vacs are relatively loud, it would be great if you chose a relatively quiet unit.
A long, extendable hose helps you clean along baseboards, above windows and in many other awkward areas. It is also superb to get an upright vac that’s equipped with an upholstery brush so that you can clean your furniture as you do the floors.
Having a dusting brush would also help you clean light fixtures and blinds in your house. You will undoubtedly love a crevice tool so that you can clear dust and dirt from tight spots.
5. Environmentally-Friendly Options
A vac’s environmental footprint might not be your priority but it is an important factor to consider. Here are some options to consider when finding a greener vacuum:
- Consider the durability. The easiest way to buy an environmentally friendly hoover is going for a brand with a reputation for durability. Putting a vacuum in the landfill each year or two is obviously not an environmentally friendly option.
- Consider repairing rather than replacing. Most vacuum problems are easy to solve with minor replacements rather than buying a new machine.
- Research the batteries. If you want to buy a battery-powered model, do some research to determine where the battery will end up when disposed. For instance, Hoover is partnering with the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation which could link you to a drop-off point so that your batteries don’t end up in the landfill.
- Check for a “green” label. Studies show that indoor air quality is surprisingly worse than outdoor air quality in most homes, so check for labels from organizations certifying that your cleaner will keep your house environment pollutant free. For instance, the Asthma and Allergy Foundation certified vacuum products that excel at improving the quality of your indoor air.
Upright Vacuum Cleaner Maintenance
Most cleaners aren’t known for longevity and could start losing suction after a few years of use. However, here are some minor maintenance task that could help prolong the life of your upright vacuum.
- Empty Dustbin or Bag. A full dust cup will result in loss of suction. You should not always rely on the full bin indicator and we recommend emptying or changing dustbins and bags when they’re about ¾ full.
- Clean or Replace the Filters. Most low-end cleaners are equipped with washable filters that are easy to rinse out and dry. More upscale cleaners, however, come with advanced filters that need regular replacement. It might be expensive but eventually worth it.
- Remove Hair for the Brushes. The revolving brushes on your vac’s cleaning head will eventually get wrapped tightly with hair, reducing their ability to pick up new hair. It could also block airflow and diminish your vacuum suction.
- Inspect or Replace the Motor Belt. Once you’ve replaced or emptied everything and there is still not enough suction, consider replacing the motor belt. This could be complicated depending in your model and it is advisable that you take your unit to a repair shop.
Being the workhorses of the vacuum cleaner family, upright vacuums have a great reputation for their strong suction, wide floor heads, and single pass cleaning. It is no surprise that a good cleaner should have the front spot in your cleaning closet. From our list of 5 top upright vacuum cleaners, you are sure to get a unit for your cleaning needs. But if you just want to deal with the best, then settle for the Shark Navigator (NV356E) Professional.
Being in love with reading and writing, I become a journalist and writer. My father’s educational background in the Literature has given me a strong background in writing and editing. I have technical writing experience and have written product reviews to help the readers to choose the best product from the market.