There are those stubborn spaces in your home that just won’t get cleaned up properly. Cleaning the stairs is always a headache for many people. There are various hoovers that are specifically designed to handle the stairs.
When you pay for such a machine, you need it to seamlessly reach into those stubborn spaces on the stairs, and suck out all the dirt. The design and power of the vacuum will determine how best it can do that. Other factors such as weight, size and energy consumption come into play while you are selecting one. We’ve listed the best vacuum for stairs (along with pros and cons) below that you can buy.
We reckon that the review is quite lengthy and detailed, and you might not have the time to read it to the end. After thorough research and testing, we recommend the BLACK+DECKER BDH2020FLFH as the best for cleaning stairs. It is cordless but powerful, and it can seamlessly reach into very tight spots.
If power is all you are looking for, go for the Miele Electro+ Canister Vacuum moving around with it might be a challenge, but no dirt stands a chance when this monster is around. Anyone who is looking for a cleaner for their stairs but is on a tight budget should go for the Dirt Devil Handheld Vacuum. It might be the cheapest option but you should not think less of it. It has power, and can conveniently reach tight spots.
Below is a comparison table featuring all the reviewed vacuums. It should help you make a quick choice that is best for your staircase cleaning needs.
Best Vacuums For Stairs Comparison 2019
|Shark Rocket||CHECK PRICE|
|Dyson V6||CHECK PRICE|
|Miele 1200-Watts||CHECK PRICE|
|Bisell Hand-Held||CHECK PRICE|
|Bissell Zing||CHECK PRICE|
|Eureka Easy||CHECK PRICE|
Best Vacuum Cleaner for Staircase On The Market Today
Now, before we bore you with some of the intricate aspects and features, we have decided to show you the best option we have chosen. These machines have been tested under various conditions and for various purposes. Here are the top picks currently on the market today to use.
#1. Shark Rocket Hand-held Vacuum Cleaner – Top Pick
- It’s lightweight and easy to handle.
- The long cord allows you to reach distant and high spots.
- It has an easy to empty dust cup. You can easily remove it and place it back.
- Its filters are reusable. You’ll incur zero maintenance cost
- The cleaner is small. It takes you longer to finish cleaning if you have vast surfaces to clean.
- The corded-design still hinders how far you can reach with the cleaner
The Shark Rocket is an ideal for those looking of a lightweight and easy to use option. It is a compact hand-held hoover with a long power cord. You are able to easily reach high spots, while you don’t have to worry about batteries. You can comfortably clean the whole length of your stairs while it is still plugged in.
If you have been dealing with stubborn pet hairs on your stairs, you will find this small vacuum cleaner very resourceful. The Shark Rocket vacuum comes with a True-Pet motorized brush that is quite effective in pulling out the pet hairs. Its other accessories include a dusting brush, a crevice tool, and a stretch hose. These accessories ensure you can easily reach into tight spots.
Shark Rocket does not come with a storage caddy, despite the fact that it is small. That should not be a major concern though. Ensure you take it apart when you are done with the cleaning, and store it safely.
#2. Dyson V6 –Best Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- The suction is quite powerful while it lasts.
- It’s lightweight, easy to handle and manoeuvre with
- The direct drive head reaches into tight and stubborn spots
- It’s quite easy to empty the dust bin.
- It has a limited battery life
- You have to hold the power button down for the vacuum to keep working. That’s quite uncomfortable.
The Dyson V6 cordless hoover takes vacuuming convenience to a whole new level. Powerful cordless hoovers are arguably the most sort after. In as much as it is not the most powerful cleaner out there, it is powerful enough for your staircase cleaning needs. It’s one of the best upright hoover that’d support your back as well.
The Dyson V6 is also convertible into a handheld cleaner as well. A hand-held hoover can easily clean tight spaces such as stair edges. It has two types of cleaner heads. A direct drive cleaner and a soft roller cleaner head. The direct drive head has tough bristles that penetrate deep into the carpet and gives all kinds of dirt no chance. The soft roller head is used on delicate surfaces. The Dyson V6 cordless cleaner will get rid of all the dirt, debris, and dust, while ensuring no scratches are left behind.
The cleaner provides 20 minutes of fade-free suction power on a single charge. That’s not very convenient if you have lots of cleaning to do. Your cleaning might be cut short as you wait for the machine to charge. That should be a small price to pay given the convenience enjoyed by virtue of the cleaner being cordless.
#3. Miele 1200-Watts Vacuum Cleaner-Most Powerful
- This machine has very powerful suction
- It has the popular HEPA air filter. The filter supplies the house with clean air as it cleans.
- The power cord is retractable. It conveniently tucks itself under the vacuum once you are done with the cleaning.
- Dust bag change is fast and easy.
- It is large and heavy
- You have to brave the annoying motor noise as you clean
When you want to attack the dirt in your house with ferocity, you go for hoovers such as the Miele Electro+ Canister Vacuum. The machine has a six-stage adjustable speed motor. You can adjust the suction power depending on the surfaces you are cleaning. The maximum suction power of 1200 watts will give no dirt any chance.
The high suction power and the Sbb parquett-3 hard floor nozzle are ideal for cleaning stairs. Such power will pull out even the most hidden dirt. The Miele Electro+ Canister hoover comes with an Electro-brush for the tough and stubborn spots, and a soft parquet brush for gentle cleaning.
As with anything that is of quality, the Miele Electro+ Canister is costly as compared to other cleaners. It is worth every penny that it costs though. It has the power and the durability. Despite the fact that it is heavy, it is quite easy to use. You should never compromise on the quality and effectiveness of a vacuum for the price.
#4. Bissel Pet Hair Eraser – Best Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
- It has powerful suction while it lasts.
- The hoover is very lightweight and easy to handle
- It has a triple-level filter that ensures its exhaust air is clean
- The dirt bin is considerably large, and it’s quite easy to empty
- The machine runs for 17 minutes on a single charge. That’s too little of you have to clean large areas.
- You have to replace the filter after some time. That implies maintenance costs.
This cleaner from Bissell is yet another compact and easy to handle. This model from Bissell offers ample convenience. You can manoeuvre around your space however you want to, as you clean. The cleaner runs on a lithium-ion battery.
This is ideal for going over the stairs and it’s lightweight as well . It comes with a motorized brush head and a crevice tool. These two will help you clean all those tight spots along the stairs. This one has an upholstery cleaning head as well. This one will gently clean all your delicate surfaces without leaving a blemish.
The Bissell Hand-Held Cordless Vacuum is small though. It will take you quite a while if you have to clean considerable ground. That should not be much of a concern though. It can still get the job done. Another concern is the short run time. The machine will run for 17 minutes on a single charge. Your cleaning might be interrupted by low battery warning.
#5. Bissell Zing Vacuum Cleaner–Best for Carpet Cleaning
- It’s cord rewinds automatically. You don’t have to pull it out or push it back.
- The machine has a very powerful suction
- It is equipped with an air filter to ensure the exhaust air is clean and allergen-free
- Emptying the dirtbag is easy and quick.
- The corded design hinders your movement.
- It’s rather heavy.
This is Bissell’s version of a corded vacuum. It is a small but very powerful. The Bissell Corded is considered to be the cleaner for carpets, floors, rugs, to car interiors. Thanks to its corded design, suction power can never be an issue. Many might disregard it for its small size, but it does not leave any dirt behind.
The Bissell Corded cleaner has a telescopic wand that eases your manoeuvrability while you are cleaning. You clean with the head and horse ahead, as you pull the upright canister behind you. The canister is quite lightweight, and it has an ergonomic handle. The ergonomic handle will ensures you always have a comfortable but firm grip on the canister.
It is compact and powerful, but upright canister vacuums are not the best when it comes to cleaning stairs. The action of pulling the canister behind you might be a little bit of a hassle. Bissell corded Canister has a very effective nozzle though. It can easily reach into tight spaces, and its powerful suction will get all the dirt out.
#6. Eureka Easy Clean – Best For Hardwood Floors
- This is versatile. It can be used on all types of surfaces. Just attach the roller if you are cleaning a delicate surface
- It is very lightweight and easy to hand
- This has very powerful suction
- The dust canister is quite easy to remove and empty.
- The corded design limits how far you can reach with the machine
- Wrapping and unwrapping the long power cord every time can annoy you.
The Eureka EasyClean vacuum is yet another small, compact, lightweight, and handheld cleaner. It has a 20ft power cord attached to it, to ensure you can easily reach distant and high spots in your home. The corded design ensures that it has ample power as well.
The combination of powerful suction and convenient and easy handling makes the Eureka EasyClean one of the most ideal vacuums for stairs. You will be able to pay particular attention to those stubborn parts of the stairs, while the hoover has enough power to pull out all the dirt. It has a crevice tool and a soft roller. The crevice is for stubborn dirt, white the roller is for delicate surfaces.
The Kenmore 31140 comes with a 30ft long power cord. That’s enough length to easily reach all the spots in a home with standard sized rooms.
The only concern with this machine is that it is small. The Eureka EasyClean might take you long to finish cleaning if you are cleaning a very large area. That should not be an issue if you are looking for a cleaner for your staircase only. The vacuum will certainly be up to the task.
#7. BLACK+DECKER BDH2020FLFH – Best Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Hair
- This hoover has very powerful suction.
- It suction lasts for up to 30 minutes on a single charge. That’s quite impressive.
- The cordless design allows you to move around with it freely
- It’s a lightweight and easy to handle.
- The battery of this machine is rather difficult to find. You’ll have challenges when it’s time for a battery replacement.
- It might lose suction when you attach the floor cleaning tube
The BLACK+DECKER BDH2020FLFH is yet another very convenient-to-use vacuum. This handheld hoover is cordless and runs on a 20v lithium-ion battery. The BLACK+DECKER BDH2020FLFH will clean your floor and your roof, as well as everything else that is in between.
The BLACK+DECKER BDH2020FLFH comes with a pet brush, a crevice tool, and a flip-up dusting tools. All these attachments can help you ensure there is no dirt that is left behind, even the most stubborn ones. The tools can fit into very tight spaces, and the cleaner has ample suction power. It is an ideal cleaner for stairs as well for the pets.
Just like many other vacuums of this type, the BLACK+DECKER BDH2020FLFH is small and you will take time to complete cleaning if you are to use it over large areas. That’s not a concern for someone who wants cleaner that can handle their staircase only though.
#8. Dirt Devil Handheld Vacuum Cleaner–Best in Budget
- It’s very lightweight and easy to handle
- It has very powerful suction
- The Micro-Fresh filter ensures the air in your house is allergen-free
- The crevice tool is very thing. It can get into the tightest spots
- It is quite noisy while in operation
- Emptying the dirt bag is a bit of a hassle
The Dirt Devil handheld vacuum lives up to its name. It does not spare any dirt. It comes with a 16ft power cord. This small and compact hoover delivers incredible suction power. It has a motorized brush head that is ideal for all kinds of surfaces. It’s ideal for cleaning the stairs.
The Dirt Devil handheld is equipped with a crevice tool that’s attached to a 2ft horse. These two ensure you can easily reach into tight spaces, and get rid of stubborn dirt. The vacuum is also equipped with a Micro-Fresh filter that prevents debris from getting to the motor and ensures the exhaust air is clean as well.
Many people are usually repelled by corded vacuums because they just assume you can’t move easily with them. In as much as you cannot compare the Dirt Devil handheld vacuum and a cordless one in terms of ease of movement, the 16ft power cord is long enough to reach various places in your living room. There is a 20ft option as well.
#9. Homasy Portable -Best Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
- It is very lightweight and easy to handle
- It runs for up to 30 minutes on a single charge. That’s impressive for a battery-powered vacuum.
- It has a large dirt cup that is quite easy to empty
- It has a battery life of up to 5 years. That’s impressive.
- The hoover is too small to be used when you need to clean large areas
- It has no air filter. You can count on it to clean your air.
No vacuum cleaner can be easier to use and handle that the Homasy Portable Handheld Cleaner. The Homasy Portable Handheld is powered by a 14.8v lithium-ion battery. The machine is quite small and compact, but it is quite powerful. The high capacity battery is one of the most impressive things about this hoover.
The Homasy Portable Handheld comes with three types of attachments. It has a motorized brush, a rubber jar attachment and a crevice tool. These attachments will help you clean all kinds of surfaces, and deal with all kinds of dirt. It will work perfectly as a vacuum for stairs.
The Homasy Portable Handheld does not have the most powerful suction, although it is not powerful enough. It will perform excellently in most cleaning applications. It might not be powerful enough for some very extreme situations though. That should not worry you. It can comfortably handle all home cleaning needs.
#10. Holife 6KPA Handheld Vacuum Cleaner [Upgraded Version]
- It is lightweight easy to handle
- It dirt bowl is translucent, and easy to remove and empty
- It can run for up to 30 min on a single charge
- Its cordless design allows you to manoeuvre freely as you clean.
- The vacuum lacks air filters
- You have to use your hands while emptying the dirt bowl.
The Holife 6KPA Hand Vacuum is quite similar to the Homasy Portable Handheld above. They have almost identical performance, and they are quite similar in design. This cleaner is quite ideal when you need to quickly clean your few stairs.
This hoover is also quite easy to handle and ideal for use by very young cleaners, or the elderly. It has three attachments that are designed to ensure you can properly clean any surface. The motorized brush and the crevice tool are quite resourceful when it comes to cleaning the stairs. They can seamlessly reach into those tight and stubborn spots.
The Holife 6KPA Hand also does not enjoy immense suction power. It does have enough though. It will seamlessly power through all your home cleaning requirements. It might not be the most ideal vacuum for very demanding situations though. Unless your stairs are being messed up in the worst ways possible, the Holife 6KPA Hand cleaner should still do the trick for you.
The reviews above should help you better understand what the best vacuum for stairs should have. From the review, it is easy to call out three unique vacuums. These are superior in their own way.
First, it’s the Miele Electro+ Canister Vacuum. This hoover delivers ample suction power and will leave no dirt behind. The BLACK+DECKER BDH2020FLFH impresses with its balance of convenience and suction power.The Homasy Portable Handheld and Holife 6KPA Hand Vacuums stand out as well. They might not offer much in terms of suction power, but they are very convenient to use, and the will certainly get the job done.
Check out our Related Posts:
Being in love with reading and writing, I become a journalist and writer. My father’s educational background in the Literature has given me a strong background in writing and editing. I have technical writing experience and have written product reviews to help the readers to choose the best product from the market.